WiseFinder User Guide
Last Modified: November 21, 2011
Looking for the User Guide to WiseFinder on Windows Phone? Click here!
How to use WiseFinder?
When WiseFinder is initiated the first screen shown holds two buttons at its bottom: Log In and Sign Up. If you are already registered, then please skip the following steps until step number 3. If you have doubt regarding a specific function, you may use one of the following indexes:
Sign Up/Log In
Adding and Removing Friends
Sign Up/Log In
1. In order to use the WiseFinder application, you must sign up and create your own exclusive account. Press the Sign Up button to reach the Sign Up screen where you can specify the necessary information to create your account.
2. In the Sign Up screen, you will have to specify in the given textfields your full name, a valid email address, a username (this username is the name that will be shown to other users, a sort of nickname), and a password. At the bottom of the Sign Up screen there are two tabs called: Log In and Create Account. These two tabs facilitate the navigation between the Log In screen and the Create Account screen in case the user mistakenly pressed the Log In or Sign Up button when he or she intended to press the other in the initial screen of the application. This Log In screen can be reached if the user presses the Log In button in the initial screen of the application. After all the information is specified, press the Sign Up button near the bottom of the screen and you will automatically be redirected to the Log In screen.
3. In the Log In screen, write your account username and password in the given textfields, then press the Log In button.
4. After you Log In, you will see a new set of tabs at the bottom of the screen and the WiseFinder Map screen above them. The first time you log in using your phone, you will receive a message saying that your device has been registered. This message will only appear this first time and it ensures you that your current phone device is registered to your account. This registration means that all push notifications sent to your account will be sent to this device. The WiseFinder Map is a Hybrid Map View. An empty textfield can be seen on the top of the screen where you can write the username of one of your friends in WiseFinder and press the blue arrow button in order to display that friend's location. The friend's location is displayed with a yellow arrow on the map. The blue dot displayed on the map represents the user's current location. However to find a friend, you probably need one first. Your friends in WiseFinder must be added through WiseFinder. In order to add a new friend, you must go to the WiseFriends screen by using one of the new tabs. The new tabs are: WiseFinder Map, Profile and WiseFriends. The current tab you are viewing is the WiseFinder Map tab as previously specified.
Adding and Removing Friends
5. Press the WiseFriends tab in order to reach the WiseFriends screen.
6. In the WiseFriends screen, you will see an empty table on the screen. This list is your friends list. In order to fill this list up you must start adding friends by using the Add Friend button near the bottom left of the screen. When you press the Add Friend button a new window will pop up.
7. In this new window, write the username of your friend in the textfield. Afterwards, press the Add Friend button and a push notification will be sent to your friend requesting them to accept you as a friend. You can't add friends without their consent in WiseFinder since you can track their location. Therefore they must accept your request and you will be notified when they do with another push notification.
8. When your friend receives your request, he or she must go to the Request section of the WiseFriend screen on his or her application by either scrolling to the left or pressing the Request button on the Friend screen located near the right bottom corner. Your name will appear on the Request section of your friend's application. If you wish to return to the WiseFriend screen, you need only to scroll to the right or press the Friends button near the left bottom corner of the Request section.
In order to accept your request, your friend must press on your name in the Request section. A new window will pop up with two buttons: Accept Request or Deny Request. Your friend must press the Accept Request button to accept your request and add you as a friend. If he or she presses the Deny Request button, your request will be denied and you won't be able to locate him or her. The Refresh button present in both the WiseFriend screen and the Request section refreshes the list of friends and requests each time it is pressed.
9. After you add a friend, you will be redirected to the Friends screen and a message will appear ensuring that your request has been sent to your friend or that an error ocurred sending it. When your friend accepts your request, a push notification will be sent to your phone notifying you that your friend has accepted your request.
10. When your friend accepts your request, a push notification will be sent to you and your friend's username will appear and your WiseFriend screen.
11. In order to rapidly find your friend's location from your WiseFriend screen, you just have to press the yellow arrow button to the right of your friend's username. After you press the yellow arrow, you will be redirected to the WiseFinder Map screen and your friend's location will appear immediately.
12. If you want to remove a friend, you just have to press the friend's username in the WiseFriend screen and a new window will pop up. This window holds two buttons: Search for Friend and Remove Friend. Press the Remove Friend button and you will be redirected to the WiseFriend screen from which your friend has been removed. The Search for Friend button provides another way of searching for your friend in a similar fashion to the yellow arrow button on the Friend screen.
13. The Profile tab button takes you to your Profile screen where, apart from your full name, you can see various buttons providing several options. The Update Position button allows you to manually update your position uploading it to the WiseFinder database. WiseFinder automatically updates your current position every 8 minutes as long as you are logged in the application. The application updates your location even if your application is running in the background. To make the application stop updating your position, you must either log out of the application using the Log Out button near the upper right corner of Profile screen. If you wish your friends to know of a sudden change in location and not wait the 8 minute time interval, you can always use the Update Position button to do so.
14. The Profile screen has two other functions. First, you can post on your Facebook Wall or on a friend's wall the following message: "I'm trying out WiseFinder, a great new way to find and keep track of your family and friends. When using WiseFinder, add me to your friends list by searching for username: (your username will be displayed). Learn more at http://mywisefinder.com". To post this message you must first be logged in to Facebook through the application. To do this you must press the facebook login button located near the bottom of the screen. This message will be posted on your Wall if you press the Share on Your Wall button. If you press the Share on Friend's Wall button the message will be displayed on the selected friend. If you are not logged in to Facebook and you press either of the two buttons the Facebook log in screen will appear instead and once you log in you will be redirected to the pressed button respective screen. Second, you can send a message inviting friends that are in your contact list to download the application through email and text messages. There are two buttons below a text reading "Share with friends". The button labeled with a postcard will invite a friend through email. However, the friend's email account must be included in your friend's iPhone contact information. The button labeled with a text bubble will send an invitation through text message to a selected friend from your contact's list.